Uplyme fight back from 2-0 to steal a point at Netherbury

UPLYME 1sts’ away game at Netherbury was a rollercoaster of frustrations –  from a hatful of missed chances, vast majority of possession, penalty decisions and disallowed goals.

Top scorer Alex Jones picked up an injury in the warm up, but he started the game well, striking the post and pulling excellent saves from the keeper.

Finn Mclean pulled the strings as the half went on and had some very good chances of his own but couldn’t finish. After a series of scoring opportunities went begging, a big ball over the top led to a penalty for Netherbury, their one chance in the half. The decision looked very debatable, but it went the way of the home side.

Uplyme went straight down the other end and scored through Oscar Sladen, only for it to be pulled back for an offside decision that seemed contentious. Before half time, Mclean had further chances from corners, but couldn’t hit the target.

After half time, Uplyme laid siege to the Netherbury goal. Their more-experienced team held out through the Swallows’ lack of finishing power in front of goal.

Alex Jones was clean through but sent his shot over the bar. Skipper Harris struck the post with a free kick and the keeper pulled off a number of excellent saves. Uplyme continued to press and were caught out, as often happens,  on the break. Netherbury’s No 8 – their best player – shot and Joe Cleere pulled off a stunning save onto the post, only for it to bounce straight to the striker to make it 2-0 with 20 minutes left.

Freddie Andrews came on for the stricken Jones and the chances continued. Uplyme heads never went down and as the home spectators were celebrating an unlikely win Uplyme struck twice in five minutes through Niall Fifer and Oscar Sladen.

But the home crowd were silenced as Uplyme went looking for the killer goal. With seconds left, Mclean put a great ball between the lines to Andrews, who slotted inside to centre back Hankin. With the whole goal at his mercy, he shot straight at the keeper who shoved it around the corner as the whistle for full time blew.

Manager Steve Gillan commented afterwards: “It was a bittersweet  end, but  we got something from a game that looked gone. It was a shame we didn’t finish our plethora of chances in a game where we must have had over 80 per cent of the ball. With players the quality of Wes Holmes and Souter Phillips unavailable, it was very pleasing to see the likes of Mclean step up and young players like Andrews come on and have such am impact.”

Despite dropping points, Uplyme stay in second place in the Perry Street League Division Two. This Saturday (October 17th) they are at home to fourth placed Shepton Beauchamp (kick-off 2.30 pm).

Uplyme Reserves were at home to Ilminster Town B in Perry Street Division B and lost 7-2. This Saturday (October 17) the Reserves are away to Farway United 2nds


Woodmead Halls
About Philip Evans 803 Articles
Veteran journalist and newspaper manager Philip Evans has worked in the publishing industry for more than half a century. He started out as a reporter for Pulman’s Weekly News as a young man and went on to work for an international publishing company in the UK, South Africa and Australia before returning to Lyme Regis where he is still reporting on local events as he has done for more than 53 years.

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.