Tough start for the Seasiders

Pete Peacock – scorer of Lyme Reserves’ only goal in their 7-1 defeat against Westexe Park Rangers

WITH a number of players nursing injuries and other unavailabilities, Lyme Regis FC had a difficult start to the new season this afternoon.

An understrengthed first team travelled to deepest Devon for their opening Devon and Exeter League Premier Division match against Lapford, the side that beat the Seasiders in the Premier play-off last season, and went down 3-1. (Full report to follow).

At home, Lyme Reserves fielded a side consisting of players returning from injury, new signings and third X1 regulars and were no match for Westexe Park Rangers, losing 7-1.

It didn’t take the Seasiders long to realise they were in for a difficult afternoon when the Tiverton side took the lead in the seventh minute after the Lyme keeper, Rob Harp, was caught off his line and could only watch a speculative shot from 35 yards drop over his head into the net.

The Lyme defence was having trouble dealing with Rangers’ attacks down the left flank and found themselves 3-0 down by the 25th minute, having conceded two carbon-copy goals as the home defence was caught knapping.

With Lyme attacks few and far between, that’s how the score stayed until half-time.

Westexe continued to dominate from the re-start and extended their lead to 4-0, but Lyme did not let their heads drop with Harvey Brimicombe doing his best to put pressure on the visiting defence.

Lyme’s only strike of the game came in the 54th minute after good work down the right allowing veteran goal-poacher Peter Peacock and easy tap-in.

The Seasiders questioned Westexe’s fifth goal after the ball had hit the referee, but they continued to lay siege on the Lyme goal with two late goals, one with the last kick of the game.

The score could have been well into double figures had it not been for a string of brave saves by the Lyme keeper, Rob Harp in the second half.

There was a touch of “all our yesterdays” about the Lyme side with veteran Adam Clarke being called into action and former manager Tim Edwards coming on as a substitute.

Lyme Reserves will be back in action on Tuesday evening when they meet Axmouth United at the Davey Fort (kick-off 6.15 pm).

Uplyme first team lost their second Devon and Exeter Division 6 game, going down 3-0 to Falcons FC (full report to follow).




JOIN OUR MAILING LISTStay up to date with all the news from Lyme Regis, Uplyme & Charmouth by signing up to our regular newsletter.

View our privacy policy.

Donate to LymeOnline