Seasiders throw away 2-0 lead conceding two late goals

Lyme Regis Reserves and their opponents Clyst Valley observe a two-minute silence in tribute to the Duke of Edinburgh

LYME Regis Reserves were well on their way to another three points at home to Clyst Valley 2nds  – and then gave away two late goals to leave managers Matt Preece and Dec Ellis frustrated, especially after last week’s 8-0 victory.

Before kick-off the two teams stood in silent tribute to the Duke of Edinburgh.

Lyme soon got into their stride with last week’s four-goal hero, 16-year-old Josh Daines, making it 1-0 in the 14th minute with a shot from the left which took a deflection off a defender after going close with a left-foot shot.

It was all Lyme in the opening stages and Daines also had a great chance when he found himself with just the keeper to beat but blazed the ball over the bar.

The Seasiders’ second string increased their lead in the 33rd minute when front-runner Steve Batey took full advantage of a defensive error and guided the ball home.

Lyme started strongly again after the break with Robbie Fowler heading wide from a good position.

Harvey Brimicombe, industrious as ever in midfield, also had a good chance when he cut inside and curled the ball just around the post.

Batey was gifted the ball and attempted chip the advancing keeper but failed to get enough height on the ball.

Then substitute Jack Handy did well to get to a dipping through  ball but his volley flew over the bar.

Lyme’s rhythm was disturbed by using so many substitutes in bid to give all the players some ball time and they tired in the last 15 minuted at Clyst picked up their game.

They pulled one back when the ball was scrambled home from a corner, and in the final minute first teamer Ben Vine, who otherwise showed glimpses of the form that has made him one of the Seasiders’ most dangerous payers in recent times, lost control of the ball in a maizey run towards goal, allowing the visitors to mount one last run-away opportunity to level the scores at 2-2.

It was a game Lyme should never have lost as the visitors rarely troubled Rob Harp in goal and creative few chances.

The Lyme squad: Rob Harp; Robbie Fowler, Toby Fowler, Wally Blackmore, Brin Seward; Cam Fowler, Harvey Brimicombe, Ben Vine, Jonny Davies; Steve Batey, Josh Daines. Subs: Jack Handy, Ben Bowditch, Luke Clifton, Rob Larcombe.

From The Dug-Out:

I felt we controlled the opening hour when we were really disciplined and organised. We were breaking on them really well, creating some good chances and limiting them to hopefull long balls, which we dealt with easily.

Unfortunately, the story of the day was that as the second half went on, and we started to make changes to shape and move personnel around, we lost that control and we retreated very deep, allowing them to really put the pressure on which eventually told and they were able to get themselves back into it, even then though we created enough on the break to finish off the game.

The players are gutted, but if we play like the first hour today, and have enough confidence to keep playing that way regardless of the score, we’ll continue to have a positive end to the season. – Matt Preece

Lyme Regis 1st failed to win a place in the semi-finals of the Dorset Senior Trophy, losing 3-2 in extra time to Poole Borough. The Lyme goals came from Rikki Sargent and Tom Bastin. Full report to come.

Woodmead Halls

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.


1 × four =