Seasiders nearly blew three-goal derby lead

LYME Regis 1st team got off to an explosive start in their local derby against Seaton Town with Joe Bond scoring a hat-trick in the first 13 minutes.

But suddenly the Lyme seasiders lost concentration and with some uncharacteristic defending saw Seaton get back into the game to level matters before half time through two free headers and a fantastic long distance strike.

Lyme’s travelling fans could not believe their eyes, but their team recovered their composure and dominated second half proceedings with another goal from Joe Bond and strikes from Fred Parsons and Dan Rendell, his first for the Seasiders.

Manager Gerard Hitchcock summed up Lyme’s performance as being “brilliant in the first 25 minutes, garbage for the next 20 minutes. We just went to pieces.” But they sat down at half time and talked it through and he was pleased with how his team raised their game in the second half.

Man-of-the-match had to go to Joe Bond for his four goals but Fred Parsons also stood out. Cody Bowditch and Cam Fowler also did well when they came on as subs.

Tomorrow (Saturday) Lyme entertain Kentisbeare who they beat 2-1 earlier in the season having trailed 1-0 at half-time. They will be going all out to do the double to retain their second place in the Devon & Exeter Premier division, but Hitchcock is taking nothing for granted, describing the Devon team as “a tough nut to crack”

* LIFE doesn’t get any easier for Lyme Regis Reserves in the Devon and Exeter Division Three.

Three points at home to Dunkeswell Rovers were well within their capabilities and would have seen them jump several places in the table. But they found the East Devon villagers in uncompromising mood and in a game littered by errors were beaten 2-0 which sees them stuck in the bottom half of the table with just seven points from seven games.

Manager Dominic Rowe will have been disappointed by this performance, especially as they had enough chances to have won the game easily. They found themselves 1-0 down after 16 minutes with Lyme’s three-man back line struggling for pace against a lively Dunkeswell attack.

Lyme managed to lift their game and had five good chances in eight minutes to steal the initiative. But a combination of poor finishing and a brilliant performance by the Dunkeswell keeper kept them at bay.

Lyme looked more threatening after the break when Ben Bowditch and Freddie Andrews came on as subs but they created very little in the second half, with the exception of a couple of near misses late in the game.

Dunkeswell made sure of the points with a second goal in the last minute of the game. Tomorrow (Saturday) the Reserves are away to University of Exeter 5th X1, a team just one place above them in the table.

Woodmead Halls
About Philip Evans 724 Articles
Veteran journalist and newspaper manager Philip Evans has worked in the publishing industry for more than half a century. He started out as a reporter for Pulman’s Weekly News as a young man and went on to work for an international publishing company in the UK, South Africa and Australia before returning to Lyme Regis where he is still reporting on local events as he has done for more than 53 years.

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.