Seasiders drop valuable points

LYME Regis 1st X1 all but kissed goodbye to their slim hopes of winning promotion to the Devon & Exeter League Premier division with a disappointing 1-1 draw at Alphington 2nds.

The Seasiders thought their opponents looked far better than their lowly position in Division One and they failed to cope with the expansive Alphington pitch.

Cody Bowditch gave them a 1-0 lead but they conceded the equaliser late in the game by which time they had been reduced to ten men after Ben Turner had picked up two yellow cards. It was his second sending off this season.

Tyler Wellman, who plays for Sidmouth in the South West Peninsular (East) League but has made himself available for his home club when the Vikings do not have a game, came on as a substitute in the second half.

Despite dropping two valuable points, Lyme stay in second position in Division One but the five chasing sides with games in hand could all catch the Seasiders. Their position, however, was assisted by three of the promotion contenders also dropping points.

Lyme Reserves maintained their challenge in Division Five with a 11-2 thumping of Westexe Park Rangers, their biggest ever victory in Devon football.

Steve Batey, whose single goal last week gave the Ressies three points at Awliscombe, found his scoring boots again, banging in five goals. Brad Rowe (2), Sam Beviss (2), Joel Gostling and Jake Bearpark also got on the scoresheet.

Lyme retain their third place with Elmore 2nds breathing down their necks in fourth place just four points behind but with five games in hand.

UPLYME fought hard in their Arthur Gage Cup at home to Perry Street Division One leaders Farway United.

The score was level at 1-1 after 90 minutes with James Souttar-Phillips getting the Uplyme goal. Honours were also even at 3-3 at the end of extra-time, with Souttar-Phillips having completed his hat-trick but Uplyme lost out on penalties 4-2.

CHARMOUTH went out of the Tommy Tabberer Cup, losing 4-1 to Misterton Reserves. Having conceded three goals in the first half, Brin Seward got Charmouth back in in the game but Misterton sealed their place in the next round with a fourth goal.

Lyme Rovers’ bid to retain the Bill Bailey Cup took a step forward when they booked a place in the semi-final with a 2-0 victory over Farway Reserves.

Last season the Rovers beat Forton Rangers Reserves 1-0 in the final .

Lyme dominated play in the first half but were unable to convert their pressure into goals. After the break, man-of-the-match Niall Davis bundled the ball over the goal line from a corner and top scorer Pete Peacock added a second five minutes from time.

SUNDAY UPDATE: Lyme 1st team progress to the next round of the Grandisson Cup with a 4-2 victory over Kentisbeare, their goals coming from a Julien Simier hat-trick and Ben Turner.

Woodmead Halls
About Philip Evans 798 Articles
Veteran journalist and newspaper manager Philip Evans has worked in the publishing industry for more than half a century. He started out as a reporter for Pulman’s Weekly News as a young man and went on to work for an international publishing company in the UK, South Africa and Australia before returning to Lyme Regis where he is still reporting on local events as he has done for more than 53 years.

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.