Rovers snatch victory late in the game

AFTER a frustrating start to the season, the young and inexperienced Lyme Rovers side picked up a well-deserved three points yesterday with a 3-2 victory over Pymore.

Kicking into Woodroffe top pitch’s notorious end-to-end wind, the Rovers absorbed Pymore’s pressure well, and grew in stature in the first half, creating several half chances.

Cody Bowditch opened the scoring on 30 minutes, whipping in a brilliant shot from just outside the area.

Going into the second half there was always going to be more goals, and despite Lyme having the majority of the play, it was Pymore who snatched an equaliser on the hour after the defence failed to clear following a good save from keeper Robbie Prior.

The visitors capitalised on slack defending again, with a superb finish into the bottom corner with 15 minutes to play. But showing great resolve, and with a number of debutants on the pitch, Lyme were awarded a dubious penalty after Bowditch was brought down in the area, with the the Pymore defender maybe getting a toe to the ball.

Rob Fellingham stepped up to slot home the penalty into the top left hand corner. Debutant Harry Andrews, son of Lyme legend Chris Andrews, was sin-binned during the penalty proceedings, leaving Lyme down to ten men for the rest of the game.

With five minutes to play, Cody Bowditch made the most of some suspect Pymore defending to expertly lift the ball past the keeper from a tricky angle, to give the Rovers’ their first three points of the season.

Manager Rob Larcombe commented after the game: “Encouraging debuts for Noah Gilmore, Neo Sydenham, Harry Andrews and Ali Trueman. Man-of-the-match was Callum Taylor, but it was a superb team performance.”

This victory puts Lyme in third place in Perry Street League Division One and next Saturday (October10th) they are at home (Woodroffe top pitch) Combe St Nicholas Reserves.

Woodmead Halls
About Philip Evans 803 Articles
Veteran journalist and newspaper manager Philip Evans has worked in the publishing industry for more than half a century. He started out as a reporter for Pulman’s Weekly News as a young man and went on to work for an international publishing company in the UK, South Africa and Australia before returning to Lyme Regis where he is still reporting on local events as he has done for more than 53 years.

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.