Reserves test league leaders in competitive clash

LYME Regis Reserves pushed high-riding Elmore 2nds all the way in a competitive clash at the Davey Fort this afternoon (Saturday).

A 3-1 victory saw Elmore move into top place in the Devon & Exeter Division Four with the Seasiders retaining their third spot despite dropping points.

There was little between the two sides in the opening exchanges with Lyme’s best chance falling to Dan Burke who curled the ball wide from the outside of his boot. Callum Larcombe also tested the visiting keeper early on.

In what was clearly going to be a competitive game, Elmore took the lead in the 25th minute with the ball being steered home from close range and four minutes later extended their lead when the ball was forced home from a rebound off the bar.

With the Lyme linesman flagging for offside, referee Viv Cooke consulted with the flag man before pointing to the centre circle.

Lyme pushed hard to reduce the arrears with Fred Thomson going close with a header from a corner.

After the break the Seasiders looked the better side and got back not the game in the 52nd minute with a Dominic Rowe rocket header from a Daly Holmes’ corner.

At the other end keeper Robbie Fowler brought off a brave save to prevent Elmore extending their league and Lyme kept up the pressure with Elmore losing their cool resulting in two players being sent to the sin bin within a minute of each other.

The Ressies were unlucky not have drawn level when Jake Bearpark went close and a Daly Holmes’ shot was padded away. The clever Jack Farrant and Lee Cleal added some zip to the attack when they came on a s substitutes.

Elmore secured the three points to go top of the league with a well placed shot in the 72nd minute but Lyme continued to press hard until the final whistle with another Jake Bearpark effort from close range being thwarted.

Lyme can feel well pleased with this performance against the championship contenders who were probably a yard or two quicker than the Seasiders.

Robbie Fowler, usually an outfield player, had yet another great game between the sticks and skipper Alex Rowe put in a terrific shift covering visually every inch of the pitch.  Dominic Rowe, recovering from injury, also looked like he’s not far off full fitness.

Next week the Reserves travel to mid-tables University of Exeter 5th X1.

Lyme Regis 1st X1’s away Premier Division mach with Cronies was called off because of a waterlogged pitch but there was delight at the Davey Fort with an appearance of  former club top scorer Joe Bond, back from his travels around the world, and the news that another striker, Declan Ellis, came on as a substitute for the Rovers after recovering from a long injury.

Next Saturday Lyme 1st, currently in sixth place,  are at home to 11th placed Exmouth Town 2nds.

Lyme Rovers featured in an exciting ten-goal thriller at home to Perry Street Division Three strugglers Merriott Wildcats, eventually losing 6-4. Their goals came from Pete Peacock (2), Stefan Taylor and Callum Taylor.

Rovers’ joint manager Rob Larcombe was disappointed with his side’s performamnce against the Perry Street Division Three side several places below them in the table.

He told Lyme Online Sport: “This was a side we should have beaten. We conceded a couple of goals early on against the run of play and never really got settled. When we did draw level during the game we were too gung-ho and left ourselves exposed. We were very wasteful with chances and hit the woodwork three times.”

Rob Thom was injured in the first half and Scott Myers had to go in goal. The Lyme goals came from Pete Peacock (2), Callum Taylor and Stefan Taylor.

In Perry Street Division One Uplyme drew 1-1 away to third placed Hawkchurch.

Woodmead Halls

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.


eighteen + 10 =