‘Dangerous’ gas cylinder found in waste collection

A gas cylinder was found during the usual waste collection service in Uplyme

A POTENTIALLY dangerous incident in Uplyme was avoided this week, when the fire service was called to remove a leaking gas cylinder.

The gas cylinder was found in Uplyme during East Devon District Council’s usual waste collection and posed a “significant potential danger” as it was leaking.

District councillor Ian Thomas reported that a dangerous incident was avoided as the removal of the cylinder was handed “quickly, coolly and professionally, to ensure the safety of not just our crew involved, but also we as local residents”.

East Devon District Council worked with SUEZ and the fire service to ensure the cylinder was removed safely and that no members of the public were able to approach the waste collection vehicle during the operation.

The incident delayed the usual waste collection service in the area.

Councillor Thomas commented: “We have not yet identified the source property, but have narrowed this down to a small area, where all properties will be contacted to ensure they are aware of the potential danger of disposal of such an item in this way.

“The aim is also to ensure there is no repeat of what must have been an ‘uncomfortable’ experience for all our team involved, yet one which they handled with great credit.”

Information on the correct disposal points can be found at https://new.devon.gov.uk/wasteandrecycling/ under the recycling centre menu.

Woodmead Halls
About Francesca Evans 2537 Articles
Francesca grew up in Lyme Regis and has worked in community journalism in the area since 2011, having gained a First Class Honours degree in journalism and her NCTJ qualifications at Southampton Solent University.

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.


*