ALMOST £200,000 is now available for East Devon community projects through the Communities Together Fund and voluntary and community groups, town and parish councils, community interest companies and registered charities can now apply for funding from this grant pot.
The money is being offered by East Devon District and Devon County Councils. For every elector in the district, East Devon has put 10p into the grant pot and Devon County Council put forward £1.
As with all funds, there are certain criteria that applicants need to be aware of:
- All projects must show communities working together, identifying new ideas for the mutual benefit of their communities which will enhance and make a real difference to the people living there.
- Voluntary and community groups, town and parish councils, community interest companies and registered charities can apply and projects are more likely to be funded if they involve organisations working together. Projects must benefit two or more town or parish council areas.
- Organisations can apply for between £400 and £30,000 from the fund and 20% of the total costs of the project must come from other sources such as other grants schemes, their own reserves or their own fundraising.
- Exmouth, as part of a pilot scheme, is managing its own funding although applications to the Communities Together Fund that include a small benefit to Exmouth as well as a larger benefit to two or more other town or parish councils will be considered.
- For projects where there is a significant benefit to Exmouth or where Exmouth is the only beneficiary, the Communities Together Fund for the town is being distributed in a different way through Exmouth Town Council. The town council is preparing its area of the scheme and will be announcing more information about its plans in the local media.
- The closing date for all applications is midnight on Wednesday 16 January 2019 and all applications will be assessed by East Devon District and Devon County Councils. Applicants should be aware that all projects will be considered carefully but not all will be funded.
Cllr Dean Barrow, East Devon District Council’s portfolio holder for finance and Chairman of the Fund said: “It’s great that at a time when these groups are more important than ever, and the amount of grants available to them is reducing, that we can work with Devon County Council to provide this valuable opportunity within East Devon.
“I would urge all eligible groups to consider what projects they have in mind that would really help our communities and apply. We operated a similar fund for the last six years that only town and parish councils could apply to and we funded some amazing projects. I hope that by allowing other organisations to apply for the money we’ll get even more!”
You can find out more about how to apply on the East Devon website.