Lifeboat called out three times in a week

Photo by Seb Cope

LYME Regis lifeboat crew was called out to three emergencies last week.

On Friday, August 10 the volunteers crew was called out to assist a man cut off by the tide near Golden Cap.

The lifeboat was launched at 2.45pm and was on scene 10 minutes later to begin a shoreline search from Golden Cap to Thorncombe Beacon.

The casualty was found near St Gabriel’s Steps and one of the crew, Tim Edwards, swam ashore to assist. He walked the casualty to Charmouth where they met the Lyme Regis coastguard rescue team

Lifeboat helm Murray Saunders said: “The crew performed exceptionally and were able to assist the coastguard with recovering the casualty to safety.”

The lifeboat returned to station and was ready for further service by 4.30pm.

On Wednesday, August 8 the lifeboat was called out to three kite surfers stranded after the wind dropped.

The three men, all local and regular kite surfers, were an estimated mile from Charmouth when recovered by the lifeboat crew.

A member of the public called the coastguard to report the incident. He was watching the kite surfers and noticed that when the wind suddenly dropped they were left floating in the water.

The lifeboat launched at 5pm and the crew were quickly on scene to recover the kite surfers.

One of them commented: “Thanks to the lifeboat crew for picking us up, it would have been a very long swim to the shore otherwise!”

This was the first shout for Dave Holland, one of the new volunteer crew members.

He said: “It was great to be on the lifeboat and put some of the training to good use.”

The lifeboat was launched on Monday, August 6 to a report of a broken down small fishing vessel.

The crew were tasked to assist the coastguard with a stranded fishing vessel which had suffered a power failure with two people aboard. The boat was reported to be four miles south of Lyme Regis.

The volunteer crew were quick to launch after being contacted by the coastguard at 6.20pm to assist a fishing boat that had suffered power failure. They set up a tow and were soon back in Lyme Regis harbour where the casualty boat was recovered.

The lifeboat was back in the station by 7.30pm.

Jon Broome, helm of the crew said: “It was a quick and efficient recovery of the fishing boat and the crew worked well as a team to ensure the safety of the casualty.”

Lyme Regis lifeboat crew has now answered 21 emergency calls this year.

Woodmead Halls
About Francesca Evans 2546 Articles
Francesca grew up in Lyme Regis and has worked in community journalism in the area since 2011, having gained a First Class Honours degree in journalism and her NCTJ qualifications at Southampton Solent University.

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.