LYME Regis is once again taking part in Totally Locally’s national Fiver Fest, encouraging shoppers to support their local high street.
Many local businesses will be offering customers special £5 deals from Saturday, October 9 to Saturday, October 23 as thousands of independent business across the UK come together to promote the ‘shop local’ message.
To help launch the scheme free parking will be available in the Woodmead Halls, Holmbush and Charmouth Road car parks on October 9 and 10.
Locally, the event is being organised by town councillor Belinda Bawden, who commented: “Fiver Fest is now a big part of our promotions for Lyme Regis. The independent shops and businesses are what makes our town special and unique.
“The community support for local businesses has been amazing during lockdown, so these offers are to say thank you to customers, and to highlight the great value and economic impact of shopping locally.”
Fiver Fest is a free to join campaign, devised and run by Totally Locally, a grass roots high street organisation that has been helping businesses and high streets to help themselves since 2010 with incredible results.
For Fiver Fest, Totally Locally is partnering with Visa, and together, they are calling on shoppers to divert £5 of their weekly spend to support the small businesses in their communities.
Fiver Fest is based around the now famous Totally Locally £5 message: “If every adult in Lyme Regis spent just £5 per week in their local independent shops and businesses, it would mean £700,000 per year going directly into our local economy. Which can lead to more jobs, a better high street, a stronger economy & a nicer place to live. Makes you think doesn’t it?”
Fiver Fest has been running successfully in individual towns in the UK and abroad over the past seven years, and in June more than 100 towns joined in together to make one huge Fiver Fest across the UK – from the North of Scotland to the very South of England.
Fiver Fest Offers have been imaginative and varied; from £5 massages, to a £5 locally sourced meat packs, £5 best-selling book offers to £5 lunch deals, £5 walking tours and even £5 vintage bus seats and ticket machines! And where the community really got behind the campaign, many businesses found it to be their busiest time outside of Christmas.
“We know Fiver Fest isn’t going to change the world”, said Chris Sands of Totally Locally,“but small changes in spending habits can really make a difference to our high streets.
“Just by diverting £5 of our weekly spend to local independents we give them a fighting chance to thrive.
“The pandemic has shown just what an amazing contribution they make to our local communities. It’s a conversation worth having!
It is for this reason, that the sixth National Fiver Fest is taking place. This time it’s even more important than ever, after how our world has changed during 2021.
YouGov research has shown that 59% of shoppers have used more local shops to support them during lockdown. And they want to keep on supporting them. Fiver Fest makes that even easier.
What’s on offer in Lyme Regis?
Fiver Fest £5 offers in Lyme Regis include the following:
- Tom’s – Mulled wine, cider or apple juice (normally £6 or £7)
- Pebbles Boutique – Scarves, jewellery and end of line summer goods
- Primary Colours – Lanka Kade 1 to 5 puzzles (normally £6.50)
- Puddleduck Toy Shop – Planet puzzles (normally £9.95)
- Uplyme Stores – Bottle of Hardy’s wine
- Persuasion – Cotton scarves; gift bundles
- The Galley Cafe – Cream tea (usually £6)
- Pilot Boat – Cream tea
- SWIM – Zombie Cocktail, Dirty Tater Tots or Bacon Roll & Coffee
- Ruby & Oscar – Leather key rinks (usually £7.50)
- Town Mill – Mill tour (usually £8)
- House of Flowers – Autumn wreath £5 with any other purchase
- Fuego – Two pairs of fun and funky socks (normally £7.90)
- Amid Giant & Idols – Coffee and a slice of cake
- Ammonite Fine Foods – Lyme Bay miniature gin and Devon tonic (usually £6.99)
- The Beach House Cafe – Mini shakshuka
- Blue Lias Gallery – Scarf (usually £12)
- Boylos – Boylos 10th anniversary T-shirts for men, women and children (usually £19.99)
- Cellar 59 – 2x Gyle 59 bottled beers, locally brewed from our brewery, or 1 litre of cask beer to take away
- Fudge House – Pink gift box of fudge and any coffee
- Ginger Beer – 2 cans of root ginger beer, a pumice stone or mini Parkminster candle
- The Good Food Store – Salt beef sandwich (normally £6.50)
- Kiosk – smoked salmon bagel (normally £6.50)
- Lilac – A glass of Dorset Langham wine or bottle of Gilt & Flint local ale, small bowl of olives and English cheese plate
- The Lyme Bay Cafe Bar – Coffee and cake
- Lyme Regis Butchers – Breakfast pack – 4 sausages, 4 rashers of bacon and 6 eggs (usually (£8.50)
- Lyme Regis Bookshop – Selection of titles available for £5
- Lyme Regis Brewery – Bottle of beer and packet of crisps
- Lyme Rocks – Three sticks of Lyme Rock (normally £2 each)
- Millside Restaurant – Two coffees and a small cake to share or two small glasses of house wine
- Molesworth & Bird – Seaweed soap and greetings cards
- The Monmouth Pantry – Any large jar of Monmouth Pantry jam/marmalade
- The Old Forge Fossil Shop – Cylinder stone candle holder in black marble, onyx or fossil stone (normally £6)
- Pug & Puffin – Any 3 greetings cards
- Ryder & Hope – Two ball cacti (normally £4 each), two cards (normally £2.95) Hamman scarf (normally £15)
- The Slipway – Bottle of Secretary Bird Sauvignon Blanc (usually £6.99)