Damage revealed after Rousdon Bakery blaze

UP to 10 fire engines tackled a blaze at the Rousdon Village Bakery on Tuesday morning.

Devon & Somerset Fire Service were called to a fuse box on fire at the property at 8.40am. Engines from Lyme Regis, Colyton and Axminster attended, as well as an aerial ladder platform from Danes Castle and a supporting officer.

On arrival crews confirmed the consumer unit involved in fire and got to work with two breathing apparatus and a CO2 extinguisher.

One person who was inside the bakery managed to escape unharmed before the crews arrived on scene.

At 9.14am, back up was requested and another three engines attended from Sidmouth and Bridport, as well as various supporting appliances and officers.

The fire was extinguished using eight breathing apparatus, two breathing apparatus, four hose reel jets, two main jets, ceiling hook, triple extension ladder, gas monitors, reciprocating saws and small tools used.  The cause of the fire was accidental.

The A3052 through Rousdon was closed in both directions for several hours to allow emergency services to deal with the incident and did not fully re-open until 4pm.

The fire involved a three-storey building including the bakery, garage workshop next door and two flats above.

The fire service reported that the bakery was 20% damaged by fire and 80% by smoke, the workshop 20% by fire and 50% by smoke, and the two flats were also damaged by fire and smoke.

A woman and two children – a three-year-old boy and seven-year-old girl – who lived in one of the flats above have lost their home and possessions. Anyone wanting to donate clothes, etc. should get in touch with LymeOnline for the appropriate contact details.

The Rousdon Village Bakery is a popular eatery and a lot of refurbishment work had recently been carried out to open its new ‘roadside grill’ on the forecourt of the former petrol station.

Owner Clive Cobb released images of the damage on his Instagram account this afternoon, thanking the fire service and saying the bakery would be “closed for a while”.

Watch our special LymeOnline News Bulletin for the latest news and images from the fire:

Visit the LymeOnline Sights & Sounds channel for more video coverage of local events and regular news bulletins


JOIN OUR MAILING LISTStay up to date with all the news from Lyme Regis, Uplyme & Charmouth by signing up to our regular newsletter.

View our privacy policy.

Woodmead Halls


  1. I am the lady who lived upstairs with my 2 children, 2 and 8 years old and our lovely dog. I am so truly greatful to everyone for their support and donations. This has been a devastating time for us. Thank you all so much

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.


8 − 7 =